RE: HUMOR: I Need Help

Subject: RE: HUMOR: I Need Help
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:35:35 -0800 (PST)

> And yet, every software engineer or programmer I
> know works and learns by
> doing wholesale copies of example code into his or
> her code. They also base
> their work on established, published algorithms and
> trusted formulas.
> They don't waste resources "re-inventing the wheel"
> when there is an
> opportunity for "creative plagiarism."

But do they enter a room full of 3000+ people and
shout "anyone got some code I can swipe and claim for
my own work"? No. And that is essentially what you are
doing by asking this forum for templates and other
work. Sure, they recycle code. But they have other
means of obtaining it. Plus, I've never seen a
programmer grab a chunk of proprietary code and reuse
it without some re-engineering. Only a stupid
programmer would do that, as it'd be too easy for the
original author to detect and retaliate.

=====
Bill Swallow
Information Design & Development Professional
bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com - www.geocities.com/bill_swallow
Editor, InFrame Magazine <www.inframe-mag.com>
WebWorks Wizard

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/