RE: Software For Students

Subject: RE: Software For Students
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:46:33 -0600

Here are my recommendations:

1) FrameMaker
2) RoboHelp
3) Web Authoring tool (I recommended EditPad for this)
4) The Lynx web browser (I think this one is shareware)
5) Visio
6) Acrobat
7) A screen capture tool

I left off MS Office because they're probably going to be exposed to that
one anyway. It's something of a given in college now. For the same reason,
I would rank FrameMaker and RoboHelp at the top of the list. Those are
tools that they are very unlikely to be exposed to outside of the
techwriting field.

Teaching HTML with a WYSIWYG editor is a good start, but by all means, make
sure that they can read the underlying code. The Lynx browser is a text
based browser and will help them get a better picture of web accessibility
issues.

The flowcharting software is generally overlooked, but I use Visio quite
often to make process flow charts. In my previous job, we actually created
huge troubleshooting procedures entirely in a cheesy shareware flowcharting
program. More than just the actual programs (which are not that difficult
to learn), your students should learn the basics of flowcharts and
schematics.