RE: Adobe Catalog's Index Feature

Subject: RE: Adobe Catalog's Index Feature
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:32:02 -0500

Dana Worley wrote:

> I want to be able to (easily) create one document from which the
> user can access all the PDF files. I also want this document to be
> easily updated with links to new PDF files. From information I read
> about Adobe Catalog, I thought I would be able to let Catalog
> generate a nice little index of the ~350 documents, then I could
> create a PDF to associate this index with, and.... wallah! I would
> then have the one document from which I could access all the
> others. I was expecting something like a table of contents listing all
> the documents.
>
> Well, that's not what I got... In Acrobat I can open that document,
> go into a Search Mode and search for keywords. This, however, is
> not what I'm looking for.

Don't completely throw out "catalog", because people may be happy to use
search to locate a document - looking through a list of 350 documents to
find the correct one could be daunting!

You might want to try "Compose", which has many PDF utilities, including one
that might be very helpful for you: Bookmark by Example. I am not sure if it
works with separate documents (I didn't use that particular tool), but it
makes a PDF table of contents based on headings. You can get further
information and download a demo from http://www.infodata.com

You will probably want to test this before purchasing the product; if your
350 documents don't adhere to the same styles (at least for the document
titles), I don't think "Bookmark by Example" will work well.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com