Subject: RE: Thanks and summary: RE: Urgent Help Needed! - Word Doc not opening

From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:22:56 -0700

> Subject: RE: Thanks and summary: RE: Urgent Help Needed! - Word Doc
not op---ening
> From: Tara English-Sweeney <tesweeney -at- novadigm -dot- com>
> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:28:48 -0500

> Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I've tried them
all and
unfortunately, I may be out of luck. I have two rays of hope right
now. One
of the list members - Kim Roper - and our IT guy who are both still
trying
things.

> Anyway, I wanted to share the responses I've received in case
someone else
needs help someday. Of course, the best solution is to have a backup
:)
which I normally do. It's just one of those things...

[snip]

As a last ditch effort, there may be something else you can try that
the others don't appear to have suggested. Before I give you the
details, be warned. This approach is not easy, and it may take a lot
of time. I last used it years ago when hard drives were a bit
smaller.

One of the people in the next Division over lost a file while trying
to print. They were desperate to get the text back, and I took the
project on just to see what I could do. Basically, I pulled out a
copy of Norton Utilities

What I'm going to refer to is on an older version of Norton, so
utility names may have changed, been enhanced, and so on. Also,
because I don't have a current version of the software on my machine,
I can't verify what I'm going to suggest is going to work on machines
running operating systems more recent than Windows 3.x.

I used a utility called Text Search.

You can use Text Search to find text *anywhere* on your disk, or even
on a network drive. So, if you know a line or two of text that
appears in your file, you can try using them to track down your
missing data.

When you find what you are looking for, You can use some of the other
utilities in NU to get your text back. For example, unerase may let
you get your text back as a file. Disk Editor can let you grab your
data in nice little clumps. (Very time consuming, but it does work.
The Disk Editor route is the approach I had to use, ultimately
plucking a copy of the text buried in the heart of a swap file.)

You and your IT guy may want to check a couple of the other utilities
as well.

I may be sending you up a tree. I may also be saving you a lot of
work recreating that 100 page document. Hope my suggestion helps.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer