RE: Issues of wording

Subject: RE: Issues of wording
From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:01:34 -0500

Ye olde Merriam-Webster online (probably my most-used site - www.m-w.com)
defines the Midwest as follows:

region N central U.S. including area around Great Lakes & in upper
Mississippi valley from Ohio & sometimes Kentucky on the E to North Dakota,
South Dakota, Nebraska, & Kansas on the W

Now, I wouldn't consider Kentucky to be Midwest (then again, I live less
than 45 miles from KY, so if I'm in the Midwest, I guess they can be, too!).
Of course, if you look at a map, it's hard to imagine that any region that
big could be known by a single name. To a lot of people, I think "Midwest"
really just means "somewhere in the middle of the country."

Meg Ehr
Native Midwesterner (Michigan!)