Technical Test & New Graduates

Subject: Technical Test & New Graduates
From: "Angie F" <AngieF1975 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:45:54 -0500

Tara English-Sweeney said "Oh boy. Bad memories for me here! When I
interviewed at my current job, they
gave me a written test. It asked for definitions of all sorts of technical
terms. I bombed - and bad. I was extremely frustrated, as I knew what a lot
of these things were."

I'm a graduate student (I'll be finished in May!) and I am preparing to hit
the pavement running. I feel Tara's pain on the stress those tests can put
on a person. Andrew's test would have been very hard for me, but I would
have tried my best to answer the questions sensibly ("the educated guess").

Anyway, I'm preparing now to go out and be interviewed for jobs. I must
admit I'm a bit nervous because I'll be straight out of a MA program for
Tech & Prof Comm. I have written online content, proposals, an employee
handbook, and a few software tutorials. I have also designed and edited
several Web sites. However, I'm feeling that I'll need much more to succeed.

Are there any Technical Publications Managers in the group who could tell me
what type of portfolio materials you expect from graduates students of TPC
programs?

Is it customary for technical communicators to be asked to take a writing
test?

Thanks,
Angie