RE: Intranets

Subject: RE: Intranets
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:32:47 -0800

Damien, further to what the remarkable Bill Swallow has said (Hi, Bill!
Thanks for your help recently.)...

Our company has a Web Production team that uses Dreamweaver to publish ASP
pages to our extranet and intranet sites. They created a documentation
submission Web application/database that's very easy to use. We click a
button to upload our files. No fuss, no muss.

Our documentation team deals with
(a) two reference manuals in FrameMaker files, and
(b) about four reference manuals in Word files.

We "PDFed" the chapters developed in FrameMaker, and "HTMLed" the chapters
created in Word (sorry for the lingo). This was our band-aid process when we
first went into production with the extranet site (which services our
insurance agents and branch offices). We had to get content up quickly.

Now, our initiative involves eliminating hardcopy manuals in favor of
electronic publishing. We will now use only the extranet and CD-ROMs to
distribute our manuals. After *much* thought (apologies to WWP Wizard Bill),
we will-- GASP!--abandon FrameMaker for eHelp's WebHTML program to create
and distribute our documentation. I'm actually looking forward to what we'll
develop.

Just thought I'd let you know what another company is doing. Good luck in
finding your solution, whatever it may be! If you're looking into WebWorks
Publisher Pro, visit the wwp-users Yahoo eGroups archives. There's a ton of
information and support out there. To find wwp-users, just look at the links
in Bill Swallow's signature line.

Jenise Cook-Crabbe
Sr. Technical Writer
Pacific Life Insurance Co.
jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com