Re: Youth vs. Creativity (was transition from contract to full-time)

Subject: Re: Youth vs. Creativity (was transition from contract to full-time)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:19:56 -0800

"ROGERS, MARTHA (CONTRACTOR)" wrote:

> Michele Davis wrote:
> <snip>
> Since we're young though, we're also creative, and can come up with many
> different ways to make money, just in case the whole technology market goes down the
> toilet.
> <snip>
>
> Susan Shields vented thusly:
> <snip>
> Gosh, does youth=creativity? Another thing I didn't know. Even old folks can
> come up with ways to make a living in an unstable market, though...although
> experience may be as important as creativity in that endeavor.
> <snip>
>
> Yep, Susan. Experience counts for a lot. If not, many of us could be in big trouble if the "whole technology market" imploded: too old to figure out other ways of earning our keep and too young for Social Security.

Not really. If your experience hasn't taught you how to adapt, it's
really just an adjustment to living in a rut.

Actually, both these cliches irritate me to no end. I work with
people whose ages vary from 19 to 50. For every employee who fits
the usual sweeping generalities about age, I can think of another
one who doesn't. Maybe that says something about the quality of
employees; I don't know.

But I do know that it causes far less friction to take people as
they come instead of coralling them into ready made categories. If
you have some myth you tell yourself to keep your self-respect, fine
- but keep it to yourself.

(And, no, I haven't missed the tone behind some of these posts. It's
the same breeziness used to excuse statements like "all men are..."
or "all Sikhs are...")

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications,

"You go to bed at ten 'cuz you've nothing else to do,
And every time that I eat vegetables, it makes me think of you."
-Attila the Stockbroker