FW: Defining a word: can the word appear in the definition?

Subject: FW: Defining a word: can the word appear in the definition?
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:38:27 -0500

Your use of the word "aggregated" isn't part of the strict definition of
"aggregation"; rather, that sentence is a definition of "aggregated
appliances." In short, you could break your definition into two
definitions. The repetition of the work "appliances" isn't really an issue
there because this second definition would explain the implication of the
adjective with the noun, not the base meaning of the noun.

Is it Friday yet?

Cheers ... Kim
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

"Apollo, the god of light, of reason, of proportion, harmony, number-Apollo
blinds those who press too close in worship. Don't look straight at the
sun. Go into a dark bar for a bit and have a beer with Dionysios, every now
and then."
-- Ursula K. Le Guin, Introduction to "The Left Hand of Darkness"

[snip-la]