Dreamweaver to create HTML Help?

Subject: Dreamweaver to create HTML Help?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:52:13 -0500

Sybille Sterk would <<... like to use Dreamweaver to create
"browser-independent" HTML help. Does anybody on the list use Dreamweaver
for this purpose? Any tips and tricks you'd like to share would be very

I'm not sure that Dreamweaver's the right tool for the job. First off, you
have to distinguish between a file containing helpful information presented
in HTML format (which is what Dreamweaver would inherently create) and
actual HTMLHelp; the latter has various features that aren't present in
simple HTML (e.g., context IDs so that the software can link directly to the
correct topic at the press of a button by the user). I don't doubt that you
could fake HTMLHelp features using straight HTML, but it would be far more
awkward than using a dedicated tool like RoboHelp or ForeHelp. Among other
things, you'd need an additional tool such as HTML Indexer to create a
useful index.

Second, there's no such thing as "browser independence" unless you stick to
very simple, very vanilla HTML. That's actually a reasonably good design
decision from the user's standpoint, but be aware that you also sacrifice
some of the more powerful features of HTML (e.g., CSS) by doing so.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein