Re: Value of Certification

Subject: Re: Value of Certification
From: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:22:57 -0800

> "Cook, Jenise" wrote:
>
> > If I would feel great by getting a vendor's certification in ProductB,
> > [e.g., ACE in FrameMaker], I would do it for me. Not for an employer.
Just
> > for me. Same for a technical writing certificate. If I would really like
> > get one, for me, I will do that.

I agree that certifications is often a personal thing. I have Adobe ACE
certifications, but *rarely* have potential clients asked if I have them.
Peer-to-peer and at STC meetings the certification question comes up, but
not in business situations.

and "Bruce Byfield" wrote:

> No, not alone. I've taken a good number of courses for their own
> sake. And, like you, I've take courses for the sake of the teacher.
> But, then, I'm one of those social outcasts who cling to the liberal
> idea of education. I think that learning is good in in itself, and I
> have a lively curiosity.

I have also taken courses for my own sake. When I worked as an editor for a
group of mechnical engineers, I took several university Calculus classes.
Since I was typing and editing equations all the time, I thought it valuable
to *understand* the equations and be able to watch out for any errors.
(Even engineers make mistakes. :-)

Kay

Kay Ethier
Bright Path Solutions