Re: Lumberg! (was Ruffled Feathers)

Subject: Re: Lumberg! (was Ruffled Feathers)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:42:48 -0800 (PST)

"Bonnie Granat" wrote

> I wonder who's the real control freak.
> Basic respect for others would seem to
> demand that one not act like a child
> about rules and procedures created long
> before one came on the scene.

Just because a rule exists does not mean you follow it blindly. I never said
disobey *all* rules, just the petty pointless ones like the original
predicament that spawned this entire thread. I think professionals have a right
to decide when they think a rule/procedure is necessary to getting a job done
correctly.

To me, that is the utmost respect you can give a professional. Let them chart
their own course to success and keep the procedures to a minimum.

> The advice Andrew is giving is
> unprofessional and destructive.
> Following it may well get you fired.

It won't get you fired if you can demonstrate that petty bureaucracy isn't
important to get a job done well. Results make a much bigger impression than
procedures.

> Professional respect is vital. Without
> it, you have an office full of Andrew's,
> which to me would be like working in a
> nuthouse.

Well, that is probably true. It is quite a nuthouse here. But we have a lot of
fun and get a lot of work done.

"Professional Respect" goes both ways, Bonnie. Making employees submit to
needless and petty bureaucratic procedures just so some little tyrant can
maintain control is rather unprofessional (and humiliating). I'd rather eat
hamsters. :-)

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/