Writing tools: Quark, FrameMaker and others

Subject: Writing tools: Quark, FrameMaker and others
From: Lyda Woods <lyda -at- trapezo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:37:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I'm interested in gathering other tech writers' experiences with
documentation tools, namely Word vs. FrameMaker vs. Quark. I will
summarize responses and report back to the list so that everyone who's
interested has succinct information.

Background: I currently use Word 2000 to create user documentation but
find it lacking. I'm interested in looking more closely at FrameMaker in
order to write 50+ page User Manuals. Marketing thinks I should look at
Quark instead. Product Management wants us all to buy the same tool so
that we can review each other's drafts more easily and reduce costs. This
work situation combines politics with technology budgets and needs.

Here are some questions that I'd love to hear your answers for:

1. If I am the only one with FrameMaker software, (the lone tech
writer), how do others review my documents and comment on them? Has this
been an issue at other companies? If
so, what did you do?

2. In your experience, what are Quark's strengths and weaknesses?

3. In your experience, what are FrameMakers' strengths and
weaknesses?

4. Why does Marketing want me to use Quark?? In all the STC
conferences I've gone to, I've seen lots of FrameMaker sessions and few if
any Quark
sessions. Is Quark something that other tech writers use and
if so, what are you using if for? Do you publish in Quark? Or in PDF?

5. Any other words of wisdom are welcome!! %^)

Lyda Woods
Senior Technical Writer
Trapezo
37 Natoma