Re: cross references in Word

Subject: Re: cross references in Word
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:45:38 -0800

Scott Turner wrote:
> It is mainly due to how Microsoft programmed Word. There is a high
> overhead in the way they did it.

OK, I buy that. As for the rest...

> You will also start to notice a higher incidence of crashing, and
> eventually, corruption of your file as it becomes larger.

I guess that depends on what "larger" means.

I work with a 300-page manual with hundreds of graphics and cross-references, dozens of tables, and about twenty sections. Program icons and other small graphics are included by reference, so they can change when the app changes; dozens of larger bitmaps are pasted directly into the Word document, which is about 2 MB.

Cross-references work fine within the Word source and in the PDF we make from it (using Adobe's PDFMaker).

> Finally, if you pass the size and complexity threshold, the file
> will no longer open.

I've never seen that. Maybe I just haven't passed the threshhold. Is it a specific number of bytes, graphics, or tables?

And how exactly is "complexity" defined?

> If you are really interested in making complex documents like this,
> look into Adobe FrameMaker, or Interleaf (which now goes under a
> different name I believe).

Oh, now I get it.

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W !

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

**New Dates!!** San Francisco (Apr 16-17), San Jose (Mar 29-30) or 800-646-9989.