RE: Taking Minutes at Meetings

Subject: RE: Taking Minutes at Meetings
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:28:37 -0800

Carol Anne T. Wall wonders if she should be Taking Minutes at Meetings.

In my experience, this attitude is typical of managers who do not know the
difference between a technical writer and a stenographer. There only seems
to be three choices: Enlighten your boss; meekly go along (and earn the
undying ire of tech writers still fighting this fight); update the resume
and move to a less antiquated company.

Obviously, the first choice is preferrable.

I have taken minutes in meetings in the past and not bothered noting those
issues that did not affect my part of the task. When asked, I explained that
my shorthand is non-existent and I was doing good to get down the info I
needed for my job. I smiled and said I was glad to share what I had, then
suggested that maybe another meeting attendee had noted that information.
This tactic was not always warmly received, to say the least.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.
702.914.5585