RE: Taking Minutes at Meetings

Subject: RE: Taking Minutes at Meetings
From: Kat Nagel <kat_nagel -at- rte -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:22:22 -0500

My response is going to anger a lot of people out there, I'm afraid. When
this happens to me, I generally agree, especially if I care about the
project.

You see, most meeting minutes I receive miss a bunch of stuff I feel is
important, and use such fuzzy language for the rest that it isn't always
clear who is responsible for what. I appreciate the opportunity to
emphasize issues I think are critical, and put down in black and white the
decisions that are made and the responsibilities that are assigned and
agreed to.

Of course, I make sure that I charge the editing/distributing time to the
project. No charge number? Then they get a photocopy of my scribbled
abbreviations or an unedited printout of my laptop notes. And I usually
only do this for meetings I'd be attending anyway.

I had a freelance client, though, who hired me to produce business strategy
documents for an IT department. The original plan was to provide me with
notes from their weekly team strategy meetings, from which I was to produce
the final documents. These notes, written on a rotating basis by
participants in the discussions, invariably presented the individual's own
point of view in a positive light, and omitted or ridiculed the views of
people who disagreed---not very useful, since this week's 'conclusions and
recommendations' contradicted those from the week before.

I volunteered to attend all the meetings and produce and distribute the
minutes, as an unbiased observer with no private agenda. In that situation,
I looked at the meeting minutes as a way of getting immediate feedback on my
interpretation of their strategy.

Kat Nagel Kat_Nagel -at- rte -dot- com
(New Yorker cartoon 2/21/94) Boss to angry hippopotamus:
"The bunny did not get the job because the bunny is cute.
The bunny got the job because the bunny knows WordPerfect."