RE: Proposal Writing: Second Person vs. Third Person

Subject: RE: Proposal Writing: Second Person vs. Third Person
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:37:20 -0500

I agree with Jim, IF there are a bunch of "yous" in the
document and their actions and expectations are liberally
mixed within sections and paragraphs.

However, it might be that there are only a couple of
parties, and that references to them are local and
not intermingled everywhere in the doc.
If it can be made clear -- perhaps by an introductory
paragraph wherever the "you" changes -- just who "you" is
in the current context, then I think you <grin> can
profitably follow the example of credit-card companies
and many other businesses who now simplify language and
specify who the parties are, and then carry on with
abbreviations and pronouns.

"This is an agreement between Giant-Moneysucking-Credit Corporation,
hereafter called "the Company" and the new holder of gold
credit card 4510 1234 4321 9876, hereafter addressed as "you".
By the Company extending this agreement, and you accepting it,
you and the Company each undertake, in good faith, to abide
by the terms of this agreement. You signify your acceptance
of the terms the first time you make use of the card..."

And like that.

/kevin