Re: Flash?

Subject: Re: Flash?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:48:14 -0600

Flash is a very interesting tool which tends to be used by web designers to
waste people's time and confuse them. ;{>}

It's an animation package which allows you to accomplish some impressive
things on a web page, generally using far more bandwidth, time, and screen
real estate than the task deserves. I'm reminded of Frank Lloyd Wright's
famous quote about television: "chewing gum for the eyes."

Note the presence of the qualifiers in the above statements. There have
been, I am sure, some very good uses of Flash in web design. I just haven't
seen very many, that's all. Most of the time it's some stupid "splash
screen" for a website that the CEO thought was spiffy but simply causes me
to waste 30 more seconds of my time before finding out the website is
useless, anyway.

That's right, make me watch a 30-second commercial for your company before
telling me you can't fix my problem after all. There's nothing like *that*
for ensuring I'll be a customer, eh?

What am I talking about? Take a look at http://www.skipintro.com/ and
you'll see.

Have fun,