RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:12:33 -0500

I know my manager, who does have some TW experience, worked with HR to
develop the description for the TW position that just opened (same doc they
used when I was hired). She was shocked when I told her that, according to
the description, I wasn't qualified for my own job - the Key Skills Required
section of the posting specifies "Working knowledge of HTML, JavaScript,
Flash, ASP." I know a little HTML, but nil about the others. Good thing I
never saw the actual posting until I had an offer (the HR rep found my
resume on Monster).

Anyway, the boss said that stuff shouldn't have been in the requirements, as
we don't do Web stuff in our dept (the Marketing TW does). We do have an
HTML doc that I'm revising, so my basic familiarity w/HTML is coming in
handy. It also helped me understand the basics of XML, which our application
uses.

If I'd had input into the description, I would have added some other desired
skills (such as XML and EDI familiarity), but I suppose I can suggest that
my manager ask about those in the interviews.

Marketing has a new posting, too, but I'm not sure who's responsible for
that one.

My 2...

Meg Ehr