FW: Rounding figures?

Subject: FW: Rounding figures?
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:01:57 -0500

Yup. It can equal anything you want. Of course, the rest of the world is
free to shake its head in wonderment at your refusal to adhere to the
conventional definition of "2" and proceed to dismiss any further opinions
you might have on the subject :>

Reminds me of a favourite math prof's penchant for using "cow" and "bat" as
variable names. "Commutes like a bat ... a *wounded* bat ... a VERY wounded
bat ..." (I forget what he used to say about cows.) Anyway, you can assign
whatever meaning you want to things--the trick is to get the folks around
you to accept your definitions; otherwise, there ain't no effective
communication on the subject. (I don't think anyone expected the prof to
stuff real bovines or flying rodents into his equations, but my
seven-year-old might assume otherwise.)

I suspect that, like me, you've run into folks who redefine words and
phrases to convey something other than usual connotations or denotations,
then complain because nobody understands them (intellectual and artistic
baboons that we are). The Web is chock-a-block with these people.
Exploring the depths of a language is a wonderful and noble thing, but these
folks should remember to tie themselves to a guideline on the surface before
they start their verbal spelunking. Without it, the rest of us can't be
expected to know where they are or how they got there.

Bottom line: You can redefine terms as you see fit, but it's up to you to
communicate the new definition, and others are not obligated to accept it.
(Reasonableness and logical consistency are a whole 'nuther issue.) Ask
questions. Eat more fibre. Void where prohibited.

Cheers ... Kim
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that.-- me

[snip]