Re: Creating gif images

Subject: Re: Creating gif images
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:00:23 -0600

I use Photoshop, but it's overkill if all you're wanting to do is create
GIFs,unless you buy a good scanner (PS ships free with a lot of the better
scanners). Thorsten Lemke's "Grafik Converter" would suit you, perhaps, if
you're on a Mac. PaintShop is an option if you're on a PC.

Adobe's ImageReady is another possibility, but it's rapidly being subsumed
into Photoshop, as is ImageStyler, but either one of these will do well at
creating good web images. Macromedia's Fireworks, as well.

I'm kind of vague because I don't have sufficient information to point more
accurately. Are you creating GIFs from nothing, converting from another
package, using mainly vector drawings or bit maps? All these choices have
an effect on the tool you use (as an example, ImageReady is probably a
better choice than Fireworks if you're starting with a bitmapped image
rather than a vector drawing, and vice versa).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224