RE: Fixed Paths in PowerPoint

Subject: RE: Fixed Paths in PowerPoint
From: "Eichelberger, Mark" <Mark -dot- Eichelberger -at- aftech -dot- fiserv -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:55:11 -0600

I completely agree with Jenise. I ran into the same problem Susan ran into since I had created a separate Sounds directory that contained the .wav files to my PPT presentation. They worked fine if running from the same location on the network, but once I burned everything to a CD-R, the .wav files lost their link. Once I moved all of the wav files into the same directory as the PPT files, I could move the entire directory to a new location anywhere and all multimedia files worked great!

Mark Eichelberger
Technical Writer
AFTECH
Mark -dot- Eichelberger -at- Aftech -dot- Fiserv -dot- com
610 993 8000 x534

<snip, Susan said:>
We are running into a path problem with multimedia files. When the students
use the Insert>Movies or Sound>From File command to insert multimedia files,
PowerPoint creates a fixed path to the inserted file beginning with the
drive specification. When the students try to transfer a presentation from a
network drive to a Zip disk (or vice versa) or burn a completed presentation
onto a CD, PPT looks for the file on the originally specified drive and, of
course, doesn't find it.
</snip>

Jenise said:
<<<When we burned the CD (or Zip disk) to take to the conference, in addition
to the PPT presentation file we included all multimedia files in the same
directory as the PPT file. When I set up the presentation on site an hour
before the session began (or, the night before, in my hotel room), I went
into PPT and verified the paths for the inserted files copied onto the CD or
Zip disk.

Worked like a charm! And, that's no blarney. However, if you've already done
that and still ran into a problem, please contact me off-list, and let's try
to solve the problem.>>>