RE: Internationalization strategies

Subject: RE: Internationalization strategies
From: Andy Becraft <andy -at- trados -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:45:00 -0800

Hi John,

>We are beginning to look at what it will take to internationalize
>our software application,

Good for you! If you're already thinking about internationalization (I18N),
you're way ahead of most companies who are considering localization.

>I am not so much worried about the translation part as much as I am
>about the changes that will be required in the code. <big snip> We
>are aware of a lot of the issues - date and time formats, currency
>issues, etc - and we have a basis for making those decisions,

It sounds like you have a pretty firm grasp of some of the basic issues, as
well as an overall understanding of the importance of internationalization,
so I wouldn't be too worried. Off-list, I'm going to send you an I18N
checklist I created, based on a chapter in Bert Esselink's *excellent* book
_A Practical Guide to Localization_ (available on Amazon). The checklist is
pretty high-level, so it should apply to your situation, despite the fact
that I developed it specifically for our web-based applications.

I want to keep the on-list version of my response short, so I'll send you
detailed answers to your other questions in my subsequent message.

Best regards,

Andrew Becraft
Documentation and Localization Manager
Internet Business Unit