Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)

Subject: Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:03:34 -0800

From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 01:02:51 -0500

Maggie Secara wrote:

> Yeah, ok, so I got a job. ...
>
> On Wednesday, I finally got my own personal login ID, and it has the oddest
> Internet restrictions. ...
>
> This morning I asked my manager about this. ...
> ... this is ridiculous! I can't even
> do a keyword search. I just get the same big stop sign!
>
> I need a non-confrontational argument that will get me simple ordinary
> access in such a way that it sounds like it's in THEIR interest, not just
> mine. Any ideas?

Lots of arguments, including the court cases:
http://censorware.net/

Now *that's* interesting!

I'd just send them a list of half a dozen sites you need and cannot get, with
a bit of detail showing why you need each to do the job.

I'm so used to having what I need at my fingers ends, or the bookmarks at least, it's been kind of disconcerting trying to think of what I need that I can't get to. Can't test a URL I can't remember, and as I say, no searching, so... Thank goodness I remembered raycomm.com!

Part of my weekend is going to be devoted to making a list of URLs to try from work. I still don't think this guy will care. I've been getting the "glorifed secretary" attitude (without the glory) all week. The *client* wanted a writer. The hireling manager clearly doesn't see the point.

But I'll give it the old business college try. Thanks!

Maggie