RE: Long Documents in Word

Subject: RE: Long Documents in Word
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:29:42 +1100

Just remember to NOT edit in the Master itself. Ideally, the only text that
appears in the actual master should be the TOC. I left the TOC in there as a
hangover from the old days. With word 97, you would get corruption of the
master under certain circumstances. If this occurred I could just print the
TOC, which had been updated before saving previously, and instantly
reconstruct a new master.

So, its ok to access the sub-s via the master (double-click on the sub to
load it), but DO NOT LOAD ALL SUB-DOCUMENTS AND START EDITING FREELY. You
WILL cause yourself problems. One of them is the global rationalisation of
lists that then get resaved over the individual entries.

Additionally, I always use the SAME template for both Master and the Subs.
Choose NO to ALL for rename styles when adding the subs.
If you change your template you must:

Load each sub-document seperate from the master and change its styles to the
template.
Rebuild the master

Otherwise random effects will occur, including the breaking of all your
lists.

If you stick to these basic guidelines you should find you are able to use
Master Documents to generate long documents with teh greatest of ease.

Additionally, by properly sub-sectioning repeated text sections (eg
standards compliance tagline), one can just insert pre-done sections into
new manuals.

Any problems email me.

Steve