Re: Why I need the Internet at Work?

Subject: Re: Why I need the Internet at Work?
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:11:13 -0800 (PST)

> I think the first thing you need to straighten away
> is why they're giving
> you unsuitable tools and working conditions. Make a
> case strongly for being
> treated like a human being, and if they're not
> willing to make changes--even
> slow, cumulative ones that will eventually get you
> where you want to
> be--reconsider just how promising the work really
> is. Yes, it's fair to put
> up with some inconveniences at first until they've
> had time to set you up
> properly, but as a long-term proposition, this is a
> sign of trouble.

If I'm not mistaken, the situation is a short-term
contract. So there should be no long-term trouble
issues. As for not being treated like a human being,
well, I think that comment must have been tongue in
cheek, as many companies limit internet access for
contractors as well as staff. As for sitting in the
machine room, well, I think you needed to voice your
extreme opposition to that before ever agreeing to sit
there.

I had a contract with the State of NY, and my Internet
access was limited - no newsgroups, no web-based email
providers, and obviously no "exotic" pages. These
blockades are put up for many reasons, but the usual
ones are 1) keep people working and not playing, and
2) avoid the viewing and distribution of inappropriate
material at work.

Usually you can get clearance to a domain that you can
prove is a valuable work asset by asking, provided
that you can prove the site's worth in a language your
company will understand. "I like using the site to
reference techcomm issues" generally won't cut it.
"Using this site to reference X will expedite the work
I am doing and will in no way infringe on your
Internet security and usage protocols" might get you
what you want.

=====
Bill Swallow
Information Design & Development Professional
bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com - www.geocities.com/bill_swallow
Editor, InFrame Magazine <www.inframe-mag.com>
WebWorks Wizard

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/