RE: Step structure (was RE: a question about verb tense/is or was ?)

Subject: RE: Step structure (was RE: a question about verb tense/is or was ?)
From: "Walters, Christian (CCI-Atlanta)" <Christian -dot- Walters -at- cox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:07:58 -0500

Probably a judgment call depending on the situation and your user base. By
the time I have reached for the manual or found the help button, I am
already annoyed at the program and just want to know what the hell I am
doing as quick as I can. Don't want to read through two lines of text until
I get to the action.

Of course, if you're at a place where you could do irreparable harm to your
software, your hardware, or yourself, you don't want to just casually
mention what you have to do. Big warning icons, etc., and with any luck a
confirmation box to prod you to double-check everything.

If all you're doing is displaying a menu or opening a dialog box, I think
you can shove the qualifiers to the back and get on with the action from the
get-go.