Re: How many options to give to readers?

Subject: Re: How many options to give to readers?
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:41:58 -0600

In my opinion, giving too many options in the narrative of a procedure is
distracting and may actually cause the reader to lose the thread. (That opinion
may be influencec by the increasing number of "brain farts" I experience as I
age.) I like the idea of a separate chapter listing all the possibilities; we
have used this method in some of our manuals. I also like the idea of a chapter
on conventions that explains the different methods of accomplishing the same
task.

Since the world always seems to be divided into two kinds of people, I think
that in this instance the world can be divided into keyers and mousers. Most
people do more of one than the other. Because of this, I think it's a good idea
to give people one keying method and one mousing method in the narrative.

If there are unusual options, or you don't want to send your reader to the
appendix all the time, you might consider using side heads to list options not
covered in the narrative. Enclose the options in a box, shaded or not, and place
the box next to the pertinent step or paragraph. Of course this is only
effective if you don't have lots of other things pulled out in side heads. Too
many will clutter the page and readers will tend to ignore them all.

These suggestions are based on my experience and preferences, and may not be
those of the typical consumer.

Jo

--
Jo Baer