Re: Plays well with others

Subject: Re: Plays well with others
From: "Bal Simon" <wordmuse -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:43:29 -0800

My two lincolns...

Your last question first:

====================== HOW WOULD YOU DEAL WITH SALLY AND JAMES?
Carefully, but firmly. And it depends on what authority (not responsibility) you really do have. I would speak to them individually, and tell them that, as their manager, you have various expectations, and that while you do not want simpering doormats working for you, that you, nevertheless expect thier respect and good cheer (or at least a reasonable attitude) to reasonable requests and demands. I do not see a need for a manager to tolerate surliness. With both of these people, I would tell them that your requests to know where the project stands is not because you don't trust them (even if it's so that you don't trust them!). Rather the business reason is that you have to track progress for your higher-ups, and their progress rolls up into yours. If they don't understand this, then they ought to be flipping burgers, not "doing" technical writing.

You should exercise care, however, because (1) they may actually prove to be great resources for your company and (2) this society is stupid with lawsuit lotteries. Quietly document any lack of cooperation. Compensate for it if you can (even if it makes you temporarily work extra hours). If it becomes necessary to dismiss them, you will be armed with evidence to back your case. Present them with the evidence of their lack of cooperation and what you had to do to compensate. Tell them in no uncertain terms that they'd better shape up, or they will be looking for work in a rather chilled economy.

This assumes, of course, that you have management authority for real, and not just in name. I've seen many a "manager" who has responsibility but no authority. If that's your situation, start looking for ways to change it or to get out of that position. It'll make your life hell.

====================== HOW DO YOU FOLLOW-UP WITH YOUR STAFF TO ENSURE THAT THEY'RE COMPLETING THE WORK ASSIGNED?
If your need to know is somewhat informal, then a simple email request now and then should do the trick. If you have a real schedule that needs to be met, I'd go with periodic progress reports, depending on the amount of slippage-based exposure you can risk.

====================== HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE CONSTANTLY GRUMPY AND GENERALLY HAVE A BAD DISPOSITION?
I let them have their grumpiness and bad disposition as long as it doesn't interfere with the project. I don't hang out with them and I look for other people to make my work experience more enjoyable. But I'm not their moms or their psychotherapists. Their attitudes are their own look out. IF THEY ASK WHY YOU TEND TO NOT MIX WITH THEM, I'd be reasonably straight up, but I wouldn't blister them with a heavy dose of ultraviolet criticism. Something like, "Well, James, you seem to want to be left alone. I haven't wanted to intrude." If James says that you have misinterpretted his expressiveness, then discuss what you have seen ... gently ... and maybe give him a chance.

====================== HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT TEACHING/TRAINING A NEW TECHNICAL WRITER? OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT THEY MUST PICK UP ON THERE OWN?
Depends. How much time do you have to get a technical writer up to speed? If you have the bandwidth, this can be a good opportunity for your company because many people, similarly situated, tend to feel greater loyalty and morale in companies that support their ability to stabilize their profession and maintain a steady, if growing paycheck. Assign small projects at first giving them honest feedback (information, praise, and criticism). As they improve (most people will), give them increasingly large projects with increasingly tight specifications, templates, etc. Soon, you may have a decent technical writer in your midst. If you don't have much time, then point them to resources on the web; get them into one-day seminars if they are available and affordable to your company, etc. Set expectations, telling them what they need to know and by when. If they are sharp and if your requirements are reasonable, you may still get some decent technical writers from the effort.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Bal

When the going gets tough, the smart start innovating more...
When the going gets easier, the smart continue to innovate.
<smile>Hmm... I need to smarten up.</smile>

http://www.1wordmuseplace.com/1st/home.htm