Re: Catbert and employee performance revie

Subject: Re: Catbert and employee performance revie
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:51:15 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org ("Tracy Boyington") writes:
>Yeah, I worked at one of those places too. Our scale went from 1-10, but =
>you were never supposed to rate yourself higher than a 6 or 7 (and even =
>that was pretty questionable). I didn't find out until my first review... =
>one of the categories was, believe it or not, attendance. Since I had not =
>missed a day in the past year, and had worked late or on weekends when =
>necessary, I thought I deserved at least a 9. My immediate superivsor, =
>kind soul that she was, explained that *her* supervisor just wouldn't =
>accept an employee rating herself that high, and had me re-evaluate =
>myself.

At a previous company, in an attempt to protect against personal bias
on the part of managers, half of your evaluation came from your
manager's assessment of your performance in various areas, and half
from a project that was agreed-upon by the employee and the manager,
and that included a presentation to the rest of the group. My
presentation was enthusiastically received and met all the criteria on
which my manager and I had agreed. But she gave me a 40 on it instead
of a 50 because "After all, no project is ever going to be perfect." So
much for trying to create solely objective criteria!