Re: Open Source Project Management Tool

Subject: Re: Open Source Project Management Tool
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:48:07 -0500

Heather Hacker wrote:

> We use Visual Source Safe as a project management tool for documentation and
> development. I'm not sure of the cost... but, as with other Microsoft
> products it has some limitations. ...

Notably, it is not Open Source which the original poster specifically asked
for. Quite a few people have a strong preference for such products; for some
it is a "religious issue". See for example http://www.opensource.org/ or http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html.

I've only seen one comparison of Visual Source Safe and the widespread Open
Source solution for code version management, CVS. That user (possibly biased
or otherwise wrong, of course) concluded that CVS was far easier to use,
more flexible, and more reliable.

> For instance, if someone is designated an administrator - that person becomes
> the only person who can delete a file. Which really gets to be a problem.

Not a problem with CVS.

> Also, the files become Read Only on your local drives and if you're working
> with a large number of files at once (I work with approximately 50 manual files)
> it can take a long time to check all of them out for editing and then check them
> back in.

Not a problem with CVS. I work with about 20 HTML files, total size around
500 K, largest file about 70 K. The CVS repository is on another machine,
which I connect to over the Internet. We use an encrypted tunnel for that
connection, which increases overhead a bit. Check in ot check out is under
a minute.