RE: juggling projects for marketing (sorta long)

Subject: RE: juggling projects for marketing (sorta long)
From: Pam Mandel <pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:20:33 -0700

OUCH! and in line...

-----Original Message-----

Don't you always check your technical accuracy
with an engineer/developer?
>><every time. every single time. but the engineer flamed me because the
quality of the paper was not up to snuff. when DO you check for technical
accuracy? at the end of the project, right before publication, or during the
development of the content? i'm for during development, but...>
Do you always have 100% accuracy or close to
when you do your content review? Or... Is it because you did not check
until the "final" was together and you should have been asking
for content review back when you "scraped together" some information?
>><this is was the intent of the review. we were nowhere near final.>
it was very clear it was a work in progress, with questions and comments in
the rev marks>
If you did not have the time to do the job correctly, why did you
agree to do it in the first place? Why could you not "schedule" some
time for the Marketing group, if you wanted to or were required to
help them with the gathering of the technical content for the white
paper?
>><this was one of the lessons learned. never start without a schedule that
guesstimates how long things will take. it was pitched to me as a "quick
review" which was all i agreed to. turns out much more was needed.>
If that was not possible, then you needed to tell them that you could
not spare the time to do the project correctly, and therefore would
not be able to help them.
>><also on the list of lessons learned. trying to help out is not always the
best solution, if you can't REALLY help.>
If you approach something with a half-*@&# kind of attitude, what else can
you expect to get out of it?
>><indeed. i don't think it was my attitude, which was more like - we'll
pitch what we can to marketing and they'll take it from there... it was that
my primary responsibilities had to take precedence and this project kept
getting shelved.>

pm