Calling all Word gurus...

Subject: Calling all Word gurus...
From: Kevin Rush <krush -at- nmhs -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:18:21 -0500

The call for help!

>Hello,
>Our Training Dept. uses MS Word to manage their documents. Since we use
>Frame I am unfamiliar with her problem... perhaps a techwrl-er can help?
>
>==Begin quote==
>Essentially, we have about 60 documents in word. The documents contain
>numerous tables and very little free text.
>We would like to know if we can create a table of contents that will take
>all sections into account when its created.
>
>What is the best way to organize these documents so that a) we can paginate
>the entire document, b) we can create a table of contents based on the 60
>individual document titles, and c) we can edit different documents
>simultaneously if we need to.
>
>Does MS Binder let you do this? We've tried Master Documents but they've
>behaved sketchily.
>==End quote==
>
>Please reply directly as I am on the digest.
>
>Many thanks!
>Abby Schiff
>FactSet Research Systems
>
>A problem simular to this was discussed within the last few weeks, I have
also recently handled a problem like it.

The suggestion!

One suggestion was to use the RD field in a seperate document.

Have them check Word Help for the RD field, the RD field usage will allow
them to keep the seperate documents and build a TOC. I've recently used
the function. It didn't have the problems that the Master Document did.

1. Document pagination is set in the individual files.
* When using the RD field, the TOC function will pull what page numbering
you use in the referenced document.
* If your using continuous page numbers, the next page number must be set
in the following document.
* You should create a seperate file for the TOC, just cleaner that way.

2. For the tables to be listed in the TOC you will need to either: Title
each table using Table Title style or some other style listed under the TOC
Options.

3. All other items listed in the TOC must use one of the styles listed in
TOC options.

3. Edit different documents simultaneously
* You may edit any of the documents in any order etc. using the RD field.
* Once changes are made to the documents, you must re-insert the TOC.

4. MS Binder
* MS Binder does pagination, once the binder is created with all the files.
a. Choose File, Print Binder
b. Choose the All Visible Sections option or select what documents you want
printed in the left pane and select Sections Selecteds in Left Pane option.
c. You can select Consecutive in the Numbering Group or Restart Each
Section (document).
d. Click the OK button.
* MS Binder is usually used to group documents related to a project so the
page numbering options are limited.

Hope this helps.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.