re: New to Editing

Subject: re: New to Editing
From: "Thompson, Sarah" <SThompson -at- ftenergy -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:28:33 -0600

Kathi DeGuzman asked:
Can anyone recommend a good book [on tech editing] to get a few theories,
etc. under my belt.

First, I'd like to second Geoff Hart's recommendation of Copyediting-l --
it's a great group of people, all of whom are word lovers. It is pretty
high-volume, but manageable, at least for me.

Moving on, one of the best books on Tech. Editing that I've read is
_Technical Editing_ (surprised?) by Judith Tarutz. It's a great
book/workbook, for the beginner or intermediate technical editor. It has
explanatory text, examples (both of things she's done and for you to do),
and checklists of things to watch out for. It's not a difficult read, and
uses informal language and humor to keep your attention. And it's pretty
good-sized, so it'll look impressive on your bookshelf when you've finished
it. <g>

Hope this helps!
st

Sarah Thompson
RDI / FT Energy
Boulder, CO
sthompson -at- ftenergy -dot- com

"It is astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to
happen." - Frances Hodgson Burnett

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.