RE: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker)

Subject: RE: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:56:15 -0400

Frame is A standard tool--not THE standard tool. Please don't con your
students into believing that knowledge of Frame or any other document tool
is the be-all and end-all of this profession. I've done pretty well for 8
years without ever using Frame, but I'd been lost if I hadn't learned HTML!
All depends on your industry. Teach them design principles, research
skills, editing skills, usability concepts, and introduce them to the tools.
By the time they graduate they'll have all changed again anyway!

MTC
Connie Giordano

[SNIP]

Frame seems to be
the standard tool for tech writers so your students would probably be best
served by learning that -- but if your school is just interested in
switching to Indesign, be assured that is a decent tool. Recently, Adobe's
web site put an article on it clearly stating it was NOT dropping Framemaker
so don't let that rumour affect your school's decision.

http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/prodinfosgml.html

Hope this helps!

Sarah R. Evans
Technical Writer