RE: Populated screenshots

Subject: RE: Populated screenshots
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:04:22 -0500

I have yet to hear evidence that this is a problem except for some anecdotal
cases. I've looked at the U.S. patent office's trademark pages and several
other sources, including MarkLaw's Trademark FAQ
<http://www.marklaw.com/trademark-FAQ/faqbasic.htm> .

MarkLaw offered the following summary, "The government grants trademark
owners the right to exclude all other businesses from using a similar mark
on related goods or services." Whether 2 people or 2 billion people knew
it, you were attempting to produce a product with a trademarked name. The
product I am producing is "[program name] User Manual." I am not calling my
manual, "The Adventures of Clark Kent."

In the earlier case of the daycare center's murals, that was an issue of
them using trademarked images.

Furthermore, to say that this names can never be used in print would
probably come as a shock to all the real people who have those names. Do
any AnyWho search on any of those names, and you will get an entire list.