RE: HTML Help

Subject: RE: HTML Help
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:05:20 -0700

At 05:00 PM 4/4/01 -0500, Jes Davis wrote:

...My problem is with keeping tabs and
spaces intact; the HTML conversion tool, as well as WebWorks, will only
allow one space at a time. I've been manually entering groups of
non-breaking spaces (&nbsp;) into hundreds of pages of code...

What you really need is the <pre></pre> tag for
your code paragraphs. This "pre-formatted" tag
preserves all the spacing of the original text
and usually sets the text in a monospaced font.

But -- there's always a "but", isn't there??? ;-)
--putting a <pre> tag in front of each line will
result in your code paragraphs being double-spaced,
and you don't want that, either. What I did to
solve the problem (using Word and HTML Transit,
so YMMV) was to run a macro that makes code all
one paragraph with new line characters (shift+
enter on Windows -- even in Frame) at the end
of each line. While your at it, best to replace
tabs with spaces to avoid different tab values
in the destination browser.

Once you've formatted your code paragraph,
specify that _code_ gets a <pre> tag instead
of a <p>.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com