FWD: Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide, redux

Subject: FWD: Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide, redux
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:05:23 -0400

Barry,

The rules of the list are clear. It is appropriate to disagree with (and attack) an argument that is put forward. It is unacceptable to attack a person. There have been times when I have tried very carefully to attack an argument but have been misunderstood as having attacked the proponent of that argument. I thought this to be a situation in which that sort of misunderstanding might arise. Therefore I took pains to point out that I was not directing my comments at you personally. That is the clearest way I know to say what I mean, and there is not even the slightest bit of irony, archness, or sarcasm in it. Please accept that at face value.

My original comment was directed at the tech-writing-specific issue of using bogus algebraic notation (your algebraic notation is bogus, as I will explain below) to make a poorly constructed and logically flawed argument (i.e., a specious argument) appear to be a mathematical truth.

I think that as tech writers we have an obligation to be clear, concise, and truthful, to the extent that is possible. So I was cautioning techwrlers against what I see as bad practice.

The reason your algebra is bogus is that it contains an expression that implies division of one quantity by another (if interpreted as true algebraic notation) but that you meant as merely a choice between two names for the same thing. I don't have it in front of me, but it was something like "(c/d)." You also implied that the other concepts were numerically quantifiable and that the numbers could be added and multiplied to produce a mathematical equivalence.

The speciousness of your argument arises from that last notion--that these fairly vague concepts can be quantified rigorously and manipulated arithmetically. Perhaps they can, but I saw no evidence of that in your statement of your theorem.

Respectfully,

Dick

From: barry batorsky <bbatorsk -at- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 08:16:02 -0400