Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide, redux

Subject: Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide, redux
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:18:26 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

> "barry batorsky" wrote...

> > try this old formula for describing the
> > results of a plan (read: process or procedure):
> > Q(p/d) x (E+C)=R
>
> > The Quality of a plan or decision multiplied by the Effort and Competence
> > to implement it determines the Results.
> >
> > A poor plan with good effort and/or competence can produce the same results
> > as a good plan with poor effort and/or competence.
> >
> > Do the math. ...

The metaphor sucks. The math is obviously bogus. It does your argument more harm
than good and, IMHO, makes you look a fool.

First, p/d in this context is naturally read as a division where you want an 'or'.

Second, E+C is uterly wrong. As you have it, if I'm competent enough and plan some,
I get results even if E=0. Sounds great. Are you hiring? Also, an incompetent with
C=0 gets results if Q and E are > 0.

E*C would be closer since then zero effort gives zero results no matter what the
competence and zero competence give zero results no matter what the effort. I'm
still not sure it would be anywhere near a sensible metaphor, let alone a real
formula that would let you accurately predict things, though.

> Wait, so you're telling me that good planning can overcome incompetence and
> lack of effort.
>
> No, it cannot.
>
> Good planning can temporarily cover up and hide incompetence and laziness, it
> can never overcome it. ...

Exactly.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.