Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide, redux

Subject: Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide, redux
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:01:04 -0500

I've found this discussion interesting. Only one place I've ever worked has ever
had a style guide. Good thing I carry one around in my head, she noted in a dry
voice. I've helped create style guides and templates as part of a team; I might
note I found the experience frustrating, I didn't agree with many of the
conventions the rest of the team wanted, but, hey, they worked there
permanently, I was just a hired pen.

When working in a team environment having formalized conventions is necessary -
or at least desirable -to produce consistent results. If you have multiple
people each doing their own thing, especially if they are part of the same
project, that's a sure recipe for chaos.

Lone writers, and I usually am, have MUCH more leeway. Yes, I do have certain
conventions I follow. Yes, I do plan my work. Like Alan said, though, I don't
usually write it down (the last time I did was for an HTML help system, and I
wrote out six pages that boiled down to, "don't try this, just call me, it'll be
cheaper and less frustrating for you if you do").

Any writer who can't produce results - GOOD results - without HAVING to follow
written style guides ...well, I have serious doubts as to that person's
capabilities.

Jo Byrd

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.