Whaddaya know? (long)

Subject: Whaddaya know? (long)
From: "MMdeaton" <mmdeaton -at- mmdeaton -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:52:04 -0700

John,
But we are not producing literature as Ken Kesey was, we are writing
documentation. The rules are different.

For example, where did I suggest that well-written documentation uses arcane
or "bizzare" grammatical constructions? I am all in favor of ending
sentences with prepositions, adore the understood subject, and on occassion
have been known to applaud a compound, complex sentence as the best possible
way to present a piece of information. I also know when to use the passive
voice and when not to.

Being able to recognize and explain the future pluperfect conjunctive,
however, seems to be essential for someone claiming to be a professional
technical writer or editor. That does not mean you have to use it, for God's
sake!

I just do not get from your response to my post why you seem to assume that
because I want people to understand and be able to explain grammar and usage
rules and conventions that I am not in favor of concise, simple,
well-crafted writing?

Mary Deaton
(206) 323-0701
New used books added today: http://home.mindspring.com/~mmdeaton/default.htm

From: MMdeaton [mailto:mmdeaton -at- mmdeaton -dot- com]

Do I believe what I am reading? Technical communicators are discussing
whether or not we need to be able to explain the grammatical or style
"rules" or guidelines behind our writing? Do those of you who say we do
not
also argue that you cannot define what "art" is, but you know it when you
see it?

Without a solid grounding in the English language, assuming it is English
you are writing in, and the ability to articulate its grammar,
conventions,
style, and other elements, then we should be accused of "poisoning" the
language.

<snip>
When I was a hiring manager, I expected candidates for editing or writing
jobs to be able to explain to me, in an interview, what their
philosophical
position on grammar and usage was, what references they used to determine
an
appropriate use, and to take a test to prove they could practice what they
preach.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.