source code documentation

Subject: source code documentation
From: "Damien Braniff" <dbraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:05:11 +0100

Documenting software from the source code was my first job as a TW and I more or less followed John Gilger's approach. Most important tools were multi-coloured pens to track BEGIN-ENDs etc. I was documenting 3 level, the lowest being the code itself so that it could be maintained when handed over. We had design specs etc but they tended to be treated as 'overviews' and not hard and fast descriptions of what the code did as we found out on a couple of occasions. One procedure I just couldn't figure out what it did and neither could my boss (and she used to be a programmer) so we called the programmers and were told to ignore it as it was redundant so we did but there were a lot of other procedures called it for a redundant piece of code. Then there was the error checking procedure which set bits in a register depending on error conditions and then printed out error reports. However it did the checking in a loop and printed out the reports when it left the loop. Unfortunately it cleared the register when it left the loop so the software never failed!

I guess what I'm saying is that the only way to do it well is to dig into the code itself.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.
50/51 Malone Road