Re: Tech Writer Ethics: Yahoo Enters Porn Business

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Ethics: Yahoo Enters Porn Business
From: Jeff Hanvey <techwriter -at- jewahe -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ruth Lundquist <rlundquist -at- prosarcorp -dot- com>

> wrote:

<snip>

>So bringing it back to tech comm & ethics: will you as a technical writer

>use Yahoo as a research source now that they are in fact in the pornography

>business? It seems the ethics question is starting to hit a little closer

>to home.

I'll continue to use Yahoo! because I rarely shop at their site (and generally don't shop for porn, anyway).

The only concern would be if there is an increase in the number of porn sites that show up in searches.

Online porn is an Internet fact of life, and it's not going away anytime soon.

I was watching TechTV just before coming to work, and they were discussing this very issue. The guy stated something to the effect that he thought it was a very bad decision since Yahoo! is now attempting to brand themselves into a trustworthy business. He used the analogy that it would tarnish their image, just as it would tarnish Time-Warner's if that company were to buy Hustler magazine.

My immediate response was, "Oh, and it doesn't tarnish their image to carry 'adult' pay-per-view movies?" Or, for that matter, HBO with its "Real Sex" series, or Showtime with "Queer As Folk."

BTW, for a really compelling look at online pornography, see this month's Yahoo! Internet Life.

Jeff Hanvey: http://www.jewahe.net

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.