Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:41:28 -0400

John Cornellier wrote:

> A lot of tech writers are probably in fields too specialized to be of
> general interest. For my part, I'm writing software user doc for
> geophysists ...
>
> Anybody who wants to talk about technical issues goes to places on the web
> which are specifically dedicated to those issues. Same with conferences, I
> guess.

Yes. You could go to geophysicist conferences, or more general geology or
oceanongraphy. I go to cryptography and Linux and computer security
conferences.

I cannot see STC doing anything highly technical in any of those areas.
Perhaps something on the issues that arise in writing about scientific
instrumentation, but certainly not the technical details of your area
except perhaps as examples of more general points. Perhaps something
in my field, like an intro to digitally signed documents, or security
for the small or home office, but not the heavy detail.

Where I'd like to see STC focusing would be on relatively new or advanced
techniques for writers. XML, DTD creation, single sourcing, ...

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.