Re: advice for the job hunt

Subject: Re: advice for the job hunt
From: Ned Allison <ned_a -at- ns -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:23:56 -0700

Chris:

You don't say anything about your experience and skills, or your location and each of these can help in us making suggestions.

One thing, just submitting your resume to an agency is not enough, you have to call them, meet with one or several recruiters, and
make sure that they are going to market you, not just sit on your resume until they seem to have a match. Most agencies treat a
resume like an egg with a very long incubation time. They match database entries on orders and work for those they "Know".

Try focusing on a company you want to work for and seek to find or create a job with them. Ask for an informational interview with
some department and get them to tell you what they want to see in an employee, and focus on becoming that person, as well as
continuing on with networking contacts with them. Go to the major platform users groups and vendors meetings in your area and
talk to all of them, both presenters and audience members. Network network network!

Consider rewriting your resume to change the target focus. Get others to review it and make recommendations. Develop a "60 sec Me"
speech telling people about who you are and what you do, and then give it to almost everyone you meet, you never know who might
know someone who knows about your next job!

If you want to focus on some specifics and want to keep the stuff off list, email me separately and I will go further.

Ned

At 03:09 PM 4/12/01 -0700, you wrote:

I was laid off a few months ago from a contract tech
writing position (in RTP). Since that time, I've
submitted my resume to *every* agency (technical or
not) that I can find, scoured the newspapers, tried to
form personal contacts, and submitted my resume to
monster.com and similar job boards. I've had only
*one* major bite--and that fell through the cracks
thanks to the economy. I think I am running out of
options...

Does anyone see a loophole, a possible avenue of
opportunity I may be overlooking? Is it just my area
or are all regions feeling the sting of unemployment?

Any advice/responses welcome!

Thanks!
Chris

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com