RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:29:34 -0400

Yvone said:

>>For those of you attending the STC conference and wanting some "latest
>>trends" coverage, I recommend Neil Perlin's three "Beyond the Bleeding
>>Edge" sessions. He is also giving a session on the Wireless Web. I didn't
>>see his sessions mentioned in earlier posts.

Hear! Hear!

<shameless promotional plug>

I am presenting one of the bleeding edge sessions:

Take off your HATT: Producing web-based help with web-based tools

Short write-up:
Are you producing help for a browser-based application? Are all your online
help users on the Web or an intranet? If so ... Step right up! Ditch
RoboHelp, ForeHelp, and all those other Help Authoring Tool Technologies
(HATTs) and jump onto the Dreamweaver bandwagon! Come one, come all! See
how one team made the switch and lived [we hope - our deadline is two weeks
before the conference] to tell about it! See what we did, why we did it,
how we did it, and what we wished we knew before we started!

Speaker:
John Garison (www.garisons.com) is Documentation Manager at Integrated
Development Enterprise, Inc. (www.ide.com), producer of Development Chain
Management solutions for businesses. A writer, manager, teacher, consultant,
raconteur, and all-around entertaining and knowledgeable guy, John is a
Senior Member of the Boston chapter, former partner in Help University, and
has been on the bleeding edge so long he only has two fingers left to type
with.

</shameless promotional plug>

Granted, it's tool-based rather than technical content, but who wants to
hear about software that institutionalizes business processes for
development organizations? (Certainly not Andrew!) But that's part of the
point - we don't all have the same technology in common. Yes, I would love
to hear a basic presentation on UNIX/Linux. Yes, I would like to hear the
pros and cons of NT v. XP, and I'd be amused (but not terribly concerned
with the outcome) by a debate of Word v. Frame.

But my job is learning enough about business management to speak to my
audience who are all big name MBA school graduates and internal corporate
managers. The technology is almost irrelevant.

But hey - if it fits into my schedule (we release every three or four
months!) I'd love to try and get there - and could probably be talked into
reprising the presentation described above if it fits into the theme and
anyone is interested.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.