Democracy, English, and the Wars Over Usage

Subject: Democracy, English, and the Wars Over Usage
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:48:54 +0200

An essay by David Foster Wallace - in the April issue of Harper's. Get it, read it, then admit that all similar discussions on this list prove to be puny by comparison. A very timely article, and I wish I had read it before contributing my 0.02 euros to the subject. Irregardless, it's an interesting read. (Yes, iregardless apparantly is included in the 3rd Webster's, so to all Usage-Is-Only-Style enthusiasts, no complaining!)

Really, this article, and its review of the book, A Dictionary of Modern American Usage by Bryan A. Garner, is both interesting and (for this group) timely.

Cheers cud

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com