Graphic Links in Word

Subject: Graphic Links in Word
From: jleer -at- ltc -dot- mv -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 6:29:1

I recently moved work I have been doing from a Win98 machine to one running
Windows 2000 Professional (WinNT).

I had been working in Microsoft Word with a manual that included several
Visio graphics to which I had linked the document. The graphics were in a
subordinate folder. When I moved the document files, I moved the entire
folder containing the document and the subordinate graphics folder.

When I opened the document in its new environment, Word displayed a link
error for all of the link entries (within the text). I checked the links
(both from the Edit menu and also by displaying the LINK fields...) and
everything looked OK. The links had been automatically revised to show the
new path. However, I still got the link error and couldn't display the
graphics.

In one instance I changed the link to an Visio graphic. I was then able to
view the graphic, however, all of the object formatting I had previously
setup disappeared. Then, I thought maybe I would change the full pathname
in the link to a relative path. Word (or Windows) would have none of that.

Maybe this was an anomaly of working with Windows 2000.

I thought you should be able to move document files and nothing would be
affected (all links would be revised if set to automatic) as long as you
kept the relative position of files the same.

Can you change a link to a graphic file in Word without losing the
formatting (e.g., sizing, border) that was previously set up for that
object within the document?

Help appreciated,
Jon Leer

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.