RE: Not again: certification?

Subject: RE: Not again: certification?
From: sguttman -at- semantix -dot- com (Susan Guttman)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:57:15 -0400

It sounds like we'd need something like the MCSE exams, with core exams to
establish competency in core skills and a range of exams to cover the more
specialized skills. As with the MCSE, an addendum to the title could
indicate your chosen specialty.

Bill S.

Bruce Byfield shared his two cents with us:
"Ehr, Meg" wrote:

> I, too, had issues when I took the test (back when they were free...). I
> didn't find that the questions really reflected TW as I know it. Then
again,
> how could any test?

Several people have made similar comments, suggesting that no test could
encompass all aspects of technical writing.

I can't help wondering if this difficulty isn't exaggerated. After all,
professional associations tht have certification manage. So do
university courses. Specialized knowledge simply has its own test.

Of course, there are problems, such as keeping the tests current, or
adding a new test when it's needed. But they're not insurmountable, by
any means (especially when we're only talking on a theoretical basis :-)
).

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.