Re: Not again: certification?

Subject: Re: Not again: certification?
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:38:03 -0500

Bruce claims:

I can't help wondering if this difficulty isn't exaggerated. After all,
professional associations tht have certification manage. So do
university courses. Specialized knowledge simply has its own test.<<

Key term is "specialized knowledge." The Association of Medical Editors is a professional organization catering to specialized information. Same with the Association of Petroleum Geologists. The STC does not cater to specialized knowledge. The difficulty, as I see it, isn't exaggerated if you don't account for specialized knowledge. For STC to offer "specialized" certification, it would have to focus in different areas, such as "Tools and Technology", "Publications Management," or "Electronic Information Delivery Systems" as examples.

L_W

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com